Built in 1957 to the designs of Walter Osborn McCutcheon, the MLC Building was the first high rise office block in North Sydney. McCutcheon’s design utilised construction and structural techniques not previously used in Australia, including the first use of a curtain wall design and modular units.
Due to the complex nature of the required works RM Watson was engaged on a cost-plus contract to carry out major repairs to the terracotta façades of the building. The RM Watson team initially undertook a trial removal of the terra cotta block façade to determine cause of cracking and spalling of the terra cotta blocks. Following this trial, RMW had to source matching terra cotta replacement blocks from Boston Terra Cotta in USA. Specific scope items completed across the duration of the project included: